So, yes, slightly unexpected, I went into preterm labor on Sept. 20th, ironically the day of my baby shower! I drove myself to the hospital Saturday morning after dropping the infamous 'plug' (I'll spare the dirty details) - informing the staff upon arrival that I didn't want to spend all day being monitored because my baby shower was that afternoon...HA! I had no real pain, but was having pretty steady contractions at this point and it was enough to give me quite a scare! After a few bags of IV fluids and some monitoring, the doctor released me and encouraged me to lay low for a few days...My friend Susanne picked me up after scolding me for not calling her to take me in and we headed back home for a low key get together with a few friends and some takeout...
My mom was already en-route from Vermont at this point! Later that evening, I was beginning to feel the contractions more...at least now I knew what to look for, and I was headed back to the hospital by 6pm only to be admitted and monitored!
Thankfully my mom was with me throughout the entire dramatic weekend, when the little princess gave us a few scares! Meanwhile, I had just assured poor Brent that morning that I was fine and would simply lay low on bed rest for a few days...holding out for his homecoming on Oct. 8th, only for him to receive the news that I had been admitted to the hospital and he needed to get home ASAP!Fortunately the docs were able to give me just enough drugs to hold off labor and administer the necessary steroid shots for Quinn's lung development. Once the last dose was given Monday, I thought we were in the clear, however, Quinn had other plans for us...by the time Brent landed in Norfolk, calling on his way from the airport, my mom informed him that she was timing contractions again! He literally walked in the door and I was in LABOR-WELCOME HOME, BABE!
Less than 12 hours from Brent's homecoming, he was cutting the cord as we welcomed our precious little girl into this world!The last few weeks we've experienced every emotion...overwhelming joy of staring at this little angel that is ours, anxiety over having her spend 13 days in the NICU, elation on the day we were able to bring her home, and sheer amazement as she continues to grow and change daily right before our eyes...we are in constant awe of little Miss Quinn!
I promise to keep the pictures coming and the updates more current...trust me when I say it took 6 weeks to get settled into motherhood, but I wouldn't change a thing! We are so blessed and fortunate to have such a little sweetheart-I can't wait to introduce her to the world!!!

3 comments:
yah! blog is back up and running :)
love that you are capturing the story to share w/ all.
can't wait to meet you Quinn!!
You look beautiful. Motherhood suits you.
I can't read that without crying!!!! When can I meet her?!! I think i only have your work email! she is beautiful and I am so happy for you guys!! PS. we did by that hosue right near you so we will be neighbors!!
Post a Comment